Wednesday 3 October 2012

adventures in baking - meet Wilbur


 
 Over the summer I've been making sour dough bread (recipe from here) Jessie and I made our starter by 'catching' a wild yeast and with regular feeding Wilbur, our starter dough has become a bit of a family pet. A yummy, bubbly, edible pet.
 

The night before I bake I make up the sponge with a 100ml of Wilbur and some warm water. I mix and leave covered overnight. The next morning I add more flour and some sea salt and oil then knead for 10 minutes or so.  Son (or daughter) of Wilbur then gets to spend all day rising slowly and surely before being baked ready for tea.

When I get the loaf out of the oven I wrap it in a clean tea towel to soften the crust a bit and leave for about 30 minutes before we devour it... with mature cheddar, home made chutneys and pickles and butter... yum...


5 comments:

  1. Oh yum, yum - your loaf looks amazing. I made some sourdough from a starter a friend gave me and it was so good. But then I tried to make my own starter and it all went horribly wrong. I should try again really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The starter smelt a bit 'off' for a few days but the instruction from Mr Hugh F-W were to keep with it and sure enough Wilbur smells more pleasant now. I didn't bake with it until the starter was at least 2 weeks old. It does take a lot of flour to get it going though...

      Delete
  2. That's it emma. I am coming over for tea ;-)

    This bread simply looks scrumptious, I will try the recipe this week-end. Thank you for sharing
    Anyes

    ReplyDelete

hello! thank you for taking the time to comment - I love reading them all!